Sunday, February 08, 2009

Puppy Possessive

Today I had two people come to meet the dogs as potential adopters. One was The Artist and one was the roommate of one of my students.

The Artist has been wanting a dog for some time. However, her boyfriend moves in with her this summer and though he's excited about a dog, too, he wants her to wait so they can choose together. I don't blame him, but I told the Artist I would be happy to foster until he could meet the dogs when he comes to visit in March. She was really excited about Annie and though she couldn't promise me anything, said if Annie were still around in March that she'd bring her boyfriend by.

My student's roommate was a nice guy. No longer a student himself, he owns his own home and has a good job. But his house has no fence in the back and both of my strays need a fenced in yard. He originally came to meet Oliver, but by the end of his visit, he was more interested in Annie. Uh-oh.

Still, he needs to think it over and whatnot. Secretly, I hope he decides the timing isn't right. And I could put my foot down about the fence. I do hold all the cards, right?

It's funny . . . when anybody expresses a desire to meet the dogs, I experience relief and a little jealousy. I've only had these dogs for one week and already I'm a little possessive and protective of them. I know these dogs would make any number of people happy, but in my crazy brain I wonder how many people can really make the dogs happy. It's ridiculous.

Yup, I'm already attached. It doesn't take long with me. This morning I took Annie and Oliver on individual walks. It helped a lot and already I could see the different techniques that would work to train each one. I'm seeing a big difference in their behavior toward me as Alpha now and I am beginning to fantasize about how I could keep all five.

INSANE, I KNOW. You don't have to tell me. I am not stupid. I will continue to seek good homes for both . . . but secretly harbor a desire to hold onto them. And time will be the final judge as to weather they stay or go.

My head knows what is best for me, but my heart says otherwise.

No comments: