Sunday, June 07, 2009

News News and More News

Yes, I have been away nearly 4 months. I feel I have good reason:

I applied to, interviewed for, was offered, and have accepted, the tenure track position I was covering this past year.
I directed Oedipus.
I found yet ANOTHER dog.
I bought a house.
I went to Canada for two weeks.
I went to DC for one.

Yup. All that. Here are more details.

The job interview went very well. Come to find out, I had little to worry about in regards to my competition. Apparently, my competition looked good on paper, but was less than that in person. Of course, during the long process, I ended up being a finalist at two other schools. And that gave me some pause 'cause it would have gotten me out of the mid-west. But, in the end, I really like my job and the devil you know is often better than the devil you don't!

Once I made the decision to stay on, I decided to really commit to the idea that I was now a teaching artist and that maybe putting down some roots would be smart. Since I am one of the lucky ones to be gainfully employed in this crazy market, and since interest rates are low and housing costs low, I figured I would buy a house. Now, those that know me are probably surprised by this choice. I have spent my life being a gypsy and loving it. But with my pack growing and really committing to my new career, I decided this was the smart choice. I could build equity, get a great tax break, and finally stop renting places that were "fine" and live someplace I LOVED.

Well, I sure found it. I closed last month on a fabulous house built in 1934 with amazing updates. Here it is:










Of course, I haven't yet MOVED IN! SIGH. My life is just too damn busy.

But I am getting ahead of myself. I bought the house immediately after Oedipus closed. Oedipus was a good experience all in all. I directed it with a nod to the Greek traditions of masks and a strong chorus. It wasn't easy and it wasn't exactly what I had envisioned (I doubt much educational theatre is - not dissing educational theatre, it's just unlike a lot of professional work, the students are all working on different levels), but I thought it was a gorgeous show with a lot of good work in it. And it was fun. :) Here are is a link to a promo video - it gives you some small idea of the work: http://tadmedia.missouristate.edu/promo/oedipus.mov.

Of course, the revolving door animal house has continued since my last post. Annie was adopted by the Artist and Oliver went to an amazing home in Indiana thanks to American Brittany Rescue (after I took him through basic obedience - man I LOVE that sweet dog). Clementine, the kitty, is now Circe and living in DC with the Writer (who moved there due to a new job - awesome!). Taco, the chihuahua is moving to MD at the end of this month, but there is a "newcomer" to our pack: Mr. Bingley.











He's an adorable Pekingese and I am desperately looking for a good home for him. He arrived shortly before Oliver left for his new home so there was a time I had six dogs integrated into the pack. LOL. NUTTY! I am sure if I can't find a home for him I will work through a Pekingese rescue and he'll be placed quickly. I just like to find homes for these animals so I can keep track of them. Fortunately, Oliver's family is good about sending pictures and updates.

Now, what's left?

Oh yes, Canada. This trip actually fell in my lap when I was negotiating for the tenure track job. I needed to "re certify" my weapon skills and a group of our students were going to Fight Director's Canada for two weeks of intensive training and to test. So, as a "bonus", the University paid for me to go with them. All in all I'm very happy to have gone. I passed the certification tests (whew!) and that's all good for the tenure stuff. However, I am DONE with Hostels. Seriously. Never will be soon enough. UGH. But that's for another posting.

So, after my trip to Toronto, I got to see my nephew graduate as Valedictorian of his class in MD and then stayed a few extra days in DC. So that was a nice break. I enjoyed visiting with a few select friends and ate some great food. The best was for last when Boss Lady, her husband, the Hostess, and I all went to Brasserie Beck. Wow. GREAT beer (and I'm not generally a fan of beer), great food (awesome cheese plate), one of the best desserts I've ever had (a Belgian Waffle with blueberry compote and dark chocolate mousse - KILL ME), and fabulous company.

Now I am back in my little town; doing laundry and trying to figure out how I am going to move into my new home. SIGH. I'm sure I will figure it out, but I am impatient. I took the dogs over this morning to acclimate them and they were SO EXCITED. They romped all through the backyard and even explored the inside of the house. I will be keeping them out of most of the house for my own sanity, but it was good to let them check it out.

So that's it for now. I hope to keep up with the blog more regularly now that things are "slowing down."

It's good to be home.

2 comments:

lifestudent said...

Haha. You had to buy a house so you can fit all of your animals ;)

Its a beautful looking house and I'm excited to hear more about it!

Congrats on the job, the establishment of roots and all of the other fun things going on in your life. Sounds like you have a lot on your plate right now, but generally that means that life is good!!!!!

PhD said...

Man...I kept telling myself I did have to update if you didn't...now I suppose I'll have to find the right headspace to accomplish that.

;-)