Wednesday, June 10, 2009

First Night

Last night I spent my first night in my new house.

Perhaps I jumped the gun.

Yes, it has been over a month since I closed on the house. And, true, I have been dying to get in there. But the truth is, I didn't sleep well for a number of reasons.

First of all, all of the critters were spending their first night there, too, so they were getting adjusted to new sounds, smells, and spaces. The dogs did OKAY - woke me up at 3 AM wanting to go out, but otherwise managed pretty well.

The CATS are another story. I don't wish to enclose either cat in a small space . . . but giving them both full run of the house really meant Henry could be King of the Castle (appropriately named, he is) and Beatrice running scared into one of my closets most of the night. And most of today. There was a lot of growling, hissing, and spitting going on and I kept having to run interference so Beatrice wouldn't get attacked in the dark. Poor thing. I may have to rethink my plans. SIGH.

Also, I didn't have a real bed. I have ordered a new bed (which is to be delivered TODAY), but last night I slept on a blow-up mattress . . . which has a slow leak. I had to refill it twice through the night.

And, I appear to have contracted some sort of croup in Toronto because I cannot stop coughing. Seriously, that was the WORST part of my night. I just kept hacking away. I continue to try to remove a lung through my throat today as well and worry tonight, even on my new bed, will be a similar story.

And lastly, I forgot to bring my coffee maker over so my morning coffee was delayed by hours. NOT GOOD. Especially after a night of little sleep.

So I'm disappointed. Not because of the house - I am not experiencing a MOMENT of buyers remorse. I'm just plain exhausted.

Let's hope second night is better than first night.

No comments: