Friday, June 19, 2009

New Digs

Today, I got checked out of my rental. So it's official: I am in my new digs! And looking forward to a full deposit refund.

And, I'm only one box away from being unpacked in my new house. All that is really left is putting away a few small things and hanging a few remaining items up. The movers (Two Men and a Truck) were wildly efficient on Monday and got me moved out in 4 hours. I have been either unpacking in my new house, or cleaning the old one since then.

Yesterday, after cleaning ALL DAY in 100 degree heat, I returned home, showered, and then poured myself a large margarita. I had seriously earned it. I sat outside on my new deck, dogs at my feet, and listened to my fountain and watched the wildlife in my new backyard.

The previous owner left a little Terracotta bird house in a tree, and I discovered yesterday a family of Chickadees have claimed it. I wasn't certain there were babies there until I walked over and saw one peep it's little head up. When I returned to my chair, I saw mama and papa busy collecting dinner and feeding the little ones. Their routine captivated me for the better part of an hour. I must now be watchful for the babies being pushed out of the home as I am quite certain my pack of five would be too interested in them for their own good.

The previous owner also left a bird feeder, which I need to clean out and perhaps find a new place for it, as nobody can enjoy it where it currently resides. The dogs continue to enjoy the yard and certainly our walks are prettier in this neighborhood.

However, I did get an interesting "welcome" from a man who lives near the park. Obviously, I'm quite a sight walking 5 dogs (and I grow more and more weary of the expression, "You've got your hands full!" I hear it at least once a walk. Enough already!). Well, this man pulled up in his car beside me and asked, "Are you an official dog walker?" I chuckled and replied that no, indeed, they were all mine. He then says, "I saw you walk by my house yesterday. You know, there is a city ordinance against having too many dogs." Excuse me? I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying something nasty. Instead, I just said that two were strays going to new homes in the future. Of course, only Taco is for certain going away . . . but I wanted the man to be on his way. What a welcome to the neighborhood, huh? I mean, I am actually doing this man and the rest of the city a huge service by taking in all these dogs, feeding them, walking them, socializing them, spaying/neutering/vaccinating them, and finding them new homes. So that man can just take his city ordinance and stick it where the sun don't shine.

On the opposite spectrum, there have been a number of very friendly folks who just marvel at the collection and enjoy saying hello. So, no complaints.

Now, if only Beatrice would adjust as well as the rest. I'm afraid she has made the master bath her home. Granted, it's bigger than my last bedroom where she stayed, but I am feeling badly. She appears content . . . so I guess the adjustment that needs to be made is mine.

So all is well here on Sunshine. More from my new digs soon.

No comments: