Friday, August 01, 2008

Be Careful What You Wish For . . .

Lest it come true.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

So I left out some details about Buster finding a new home.

People out here are pretty friendly, so while walking the dogs in the park, I struck up several conversations about the strays. Usually a person would say something like, "You've got your hands full!" or the ever-pithy "Who's walking who?" which would then lead into a brief, kindly conversation about the dogs. Also, when you walk in the park the same time regularly, you see the same people so they ask for updates. It was one such follow-up with a woman with a Westie that lead to finding Buster's new home.

She had mentioned she had found a Shih Tzu not long ago and the park grounds-keeper inquired about it. He was looking for something for his girlfriend.

Well, that didn't work out apparently, so he was still looking. So this woman introduced me to Jim and we chatted about Buster. He took a few pictures on his camera and asked that I call him the next day. Which I did . . . thinking he'd let me know if he was interested or not and we would plan a time to turn Buster over if so.

Well, Jim didn't need to plan a time - he was ready to take Buster - NOW. YIKES!! It was so quick I hardly had time to get the dogs in the car to get to the park, let alone think about favorite toys to give him and other things to make his transition more comfortable.

So we get to the park and Jim is waiting for us. Within five minutes, he's leashed Buster and whisked him away. But not before I gave him my information with an offer to pet-sit anytime or to take Buster back should I need to.

I got in my car and of course burst into tears . . . I had forgotten "Pig" his favorite toy and the cat bed he had claimed for his own. I forgot to tell Jim about Buster's little quirks. I didn't even get to say good-bye to Buster.

I got home and was overwhelmed with his absence and my guilt.

And I secretly wished I would get a call saying they needed me to take him back.

And, as the saying warns . . .

BUSTER IS BACK!

Yup, in less than 24 hours, I got a phone call saying, "It isn't working out." HUH? I mean, they didn't even give the little guy a chance to adjust!

But I was thrilled and quickly drove to the park to pick him up. All the dogs were excited to see each other and Buster appeared beside himself with joy to be back with his new pack.

So it looks as if I am now the proud owner of 5 critters: 3 dogs and 2 cats. I have already called the vet to schedule an appointment for all three dogs - gulp - so I can kiss good-bye a huge chunk of change. But they are so worth it.

I know this is going to be challenging; I have no illusions to the contrary.

But I'm up for it.

There's another saying that fits here, too: If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, it's yours. If it doesn't, it never was.

Looks like Buster's mine. :)

3 comments:

lifestudent said...

What a crazy story! I am sure your little zoo will make you frustrated at times, but also happier than you could ever expect :)

Anonymous said...

It's funny how the universe opens and closes doors...
Good for you and buster! And if you ever need sitters )okay, we're too far away, but you know...)
Brian (and Lin and Harald and Kaylee and Simon and River...)

Anonymous said...

When I took in little gimpy Buddy, I was told that the furry kids that need you find you. I think you are proof of that. Have a great time with your big, happy, fuzzy family!
Janet