Saturday, August 09, 2008

Running Much?

So, it has occurred to me that I haven't talked about running on this blog for some time. Strange seeing that it was created as such, but we all (all five of you that read it regularly) know that it has never been JUST a running blog.

So let me get back to the original intent for a post.

One reason I haven't mentioned my running much this summer is because there hasn't been much to mention! Seriously, I took some time off after the Half-Marathon in April and when I started back up, my leg was hurting me much like it did when I had my stress fracture. So I vowed to give it more rest and didn't really get back to the running until late June.

But then it was like I had never run before. Seriously. I could hardly get in two miles without getting light-headed or seriously winded. It was wildly frustrating and strange.

Now I mentioned, I think, I saw my acupuncturist in DC and she prescribed some herbs for me as I am blood deficient. Well, I have been taking them since my detox and I think they are making a difference!

I have been running four miles regularly with the dogs and, though we are going slower than I used to run, I am able to complete the mileage without wanting to collapse or faint. Last weekend I ran the four with Stella and Zoe and put them in the car to run two more. I got in SIX! That is a serious accomplishment considering my fatigue just a month ago.

So tomorrow, weather permitting, I am off to run eight. I imagine I'll take the dogs for the first half and then run the route alone a second time.

Let's hope this is the start of a trend I can continue. I still want to run that Stump Jump in October. The hard part will be figuring out how to keep the maintenance runs going during the week. I teach at 9AM every day but Friday starting in two weeks. That being the case, if I want to run in the morning, I'm going to have to get up at 5AM in order to walk Buster before I run with Stella and Zoe.

Yuck. I hate getting up in the dark.

Still . . . if I don't do it early, it usually doesn't get done.

So here's to watching the sun rise! And to running happy again!

1 comment:

lifestudent said...

I tried running with Wrigley (my lab) last year and it totally was a no-go. Running with two dogs is unimaginable to me ... and having to walk one before running with the other two ... no way :) You are practically a saint.