Thursday, August 14, 2008

Martinis and Manicures

So, last night I went out with my colleague, Blondie. We hit Tonic, a bar downtown that I hadn't yet been to, for their Ladies Only Happy Hour. They call it "Martinis and Manicures."

Okay, so I joke a lot about my new home town and no longer living an urban lifestyle, but OMG - membership has its privileges!

Blondie and I had no idea what to expect, but were game no matter what. And as we've been busting our asses preparing for a new semester, we decided a hump day treat was necessary.

So we got to Tonic and right away were surprised by how much they were catering to the ladies. Get this, the manicures are FREE during happy hour (6-8pm)! AND they had a bunch of local vendors hawking their wares in a little alcove. Everything from Tupperware to jewelry, it was there.

So we find a seat, put our names on the manicure list, enter to win a "salon basket", and peruse the martini menu. It is extensive for this town and impressive. She ordered a chocolate something martini and I ordered a tequila sunset martini. If you're wondering why TEQUILA, go back in this blog to find my Vodka stories. Trust me, you'll understand.

Anyway, our drinks arrived and HOLY COW was it a generous pour! Now, I mentioned in this blog that the Mud Lounge wine pours were generous, but it seems to be a town trait. An EXCELLENT one at that!

While sipping our first martini, Blondie and I got called for our manicures. Not only did they do the polish, but we also got a hand massage! AND, they passed out a free product and a coupon for 50% off any salon service! Now, the ladies reading this will get how big a deal that is, but gentlemen - imagine paying half for a green fees or half for tickets to a sporting event. Yeah, that kind of big deal.

So I got my nails done in a fabulous red (for heaven's sake, it was FREE) and returned to the table to order another round.

Blondie and I were then encouraged by our very gregarious and enthusiastic waiter to try the spinach dip. What the hell? So on his suggestion, we split one and frankly, it was one of the best spinach dips I've ever had. Of course, we had another round, too.

The evening progressed and then a live musician started to play. He was great! He played a lot of my favorite songs, and I have a pretty eclectic taste.

The waiter stopped by again, cleared the spinach dip, and asked if we wanted another. We said sure, and he rather coyly hinted that we weren't being very adventurous by ordering the same. So, we took the hint and ordered something different. My third pour was just as generous as my first pour. Impressive.

Well, the evening continued and Blondie and I enjoyed some lively conversation. At 8pm, the drawing for the basket was held (neither one of us won) and we decided it was time to settle the bill and head home.

Well, we got the bill . . . and get THIS: we each had three very good martinis, a manicure, and we split an excellent spinach dip and PAID . . . less than $15 a piece!!!!!

Needless to say, Blondie and I are going back in a couple of weeks.

I LOVE this town!

No comments: