Tuesday, June 19, 2007

A Regular Practice


It has been a long time since I've been able to practice yoga regularly. When I was able to practice at least once a week, I felt better physical and emotionally. I was strong, limber, and grounded.

My best marathon times were in a year when I was enjoying a regular yoga practice.

Well, now that it's summer, I decided to take the plunge and get back into the yoga routine.

Shortly after moving here, I spent a Saturday exploring downtown and found Main Street Yoga. To my surprise and joy, it is a Kripalu Studio which is the form of yoga I studied while in DC (except for my brief venture into Hot Yoga). I am a big fan of Kripalu and hoped I could make a class a part of my new schedule in my new hometown.

Alas! It wasn't to be due to my incredible teaching load and subsequent pursuit of my Alexander Technique Certification (more on THAT later, I'm sure). But I kept my little flyer with the class schedule just the same and posted in a prominent place so I might remind myself how much I could benefit from a return to it.

So now that I have "nothing to do," I made the decision to do this! And I am so happy!

I am in a "moderate" class so it's a good workout but doesn't kill me. And to be honest, I'm surprised by the number of people in the class. Last night we were about as full as we could get in the cozy studio; there were about 16 of us I think. Now, I realize this town isn't completely backward, but it's not exactly hip either so 16 seems like a lot to me. And there were people there this week that weren't there last week and vice verse so there are probably 20 or so that attend that class somewhat regularly.

Each night our Yogi asks us if there is anything we WANT to do and usually there are one or two suggestions. Last night, somebody mentioned abs. Ugh. Yeah . . . I need to work my core desperately, but don't LIKE working it. Now, in Yoga the goal isn't a six-pack. It's to build a balanced, strong and flexible core which is actually BETTER for you than only doing crunches and actually shortening your muscles. We engage the core throughout the session, but our Yogi chose one pose in particular that I could really feel my abs working. Okay, that's putting it mildly. By the end of the pose I was cursing myself, my abs, and the Yogi. Of course, I'm not cursing her now and I know by the time school begins again, that pose won't be quite so bad.

I signed up for a five class pass for now as I'm going away in a couple of weeks and then I'll be home only for three more before I leave again. As soon as I get back, classes begin and though I HOPE to continue this practice, I just don't know yet. I teach until 5pm and the class starts at 5:30 - that's a tight squeeze to finish up on campus, get to my car, and get downtown. It's POSSIBLE, but I just don't know how PROBABLE yet. SIGH.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed though and for now, enjoying the peace and power a regular practice provides.

No comments: