Saturday, June 16, 2007

Double Digits, Baby!



This morning I ran 10 miles!

To be perfectly blunt, it kind of sucked.

I couldn't understand it. I was well-rested and had been eating very well for the first time since I moved here. I haven't had a drink in nearly a week, so I was hydrated. I ate the same breakfast as last week and just like last week drank some of yesterday's coffee before I left. What's the deal?

It could be for any number of reasons. Maybe it's that I haven't run double digits in over a year. The last time I saw ten miles was at The Kentucky Derby Half-Marathon. I ran it last year with my brother, his wife, and my nephew. Well, my nephew ran so fast I saw his back for about 10 seconds . . . so he doesn't really count.

This morning might have hurt, too, because it was hot. It was easily the warmest morning we've had this summer. Now I like the heat, those of you who know me know that much, but there is something about building miles as the heat builds too that can be a little hard on the body. So we ran out the second mail-box past Towanda-Barnes Road. If that sounds like a country road surrounded by farmland, well . . . once you get out there it is! But a majority of the run is part of the Constitution Trail and, at least in this direction, in the sun most of the way. Blech. On the way out, you face the sun directly.

On the way back, I was happy to have the sun at my back. But today it meant facing a tough head-wind. You would think, nice - a little breeze to cool you off! Not quite. The wind was hot, so not exactly refreshing, and it was strong enough to give resistance to the running. UGH. That really hurt.

Of course, I think I hurt a little from dehydration in spite of not having had any alcohol this week. As I may have said in a previous post, I tend to stop at every other water stop. So as I approached the last water stop of LAST week, Coach P was there on his bike, and I asked if there was another stop at the turn around. He was on his cell, but nodded yes, so I passed the water stop.

When I got to that second mailbox, it wasn't there. And remember the Heel-biter last week? Well, he was there and he couldn't see anything either. NO! I even, in my stupor, opened the mailbox in hopes the plastic bin of fluids was there. Nada. So, after walking a few paces with the Heel-biter I was off and I could tell I needed the hydration. But what can you do except put one foot in front of the other as you focus on the next water stop. It has been a long time since I've been THAT happy to see a bottle of Powerade. As it turns out, Coach P sends an e-mail that tells us where the water stops are each week and had I READ it, I would have known the water stop was NEAR the mailbox but not AT the mailbox. Lesson learned.

Oh yeah, and then there's my friendly competition with the Heel-biter. He started behind me this week and I couldn't hear him directly behind me, but at the first water stop he flew by me and I could tell the unspoken competition was on. I was feeling pretty good the first few miles, and would nearly catch him at the water stops, but he would gulp and run and eventually, in the beating sun, he put a decent distance between us. It wasn't until we were nearing the half-way point that I caught up with him again and I could see by his form he was hurting. Like I said, the morning and the miles sucked. So there we were at the mailbox, denied fluids, and I remarked on the pace he'd set. He said he was now feeling fatigued . . . and that he decided to "let" me lead. Excuse me? I really prickled at that, but said nothing. I just started running away from him. From that point on, I wanted to make CERTAIN he didn't pass me.

Maybe that was a bad idea. I mean, in some ways the competition is good and I was glad to be pushed. I decided that I would take my drink and walk the water stop instead of stand and drink . . . which is exactly what I will do during the marathon. So that was a good thing. But to INSIST he not only not pass me, I didn't want to SEE him behind me at the stops. I suppose this pushed me a little more than I needed and contributed to the agony of the run. SIGH.

So I suppose there were plenty of reasons the 10 miles didn't feel so good. Needless to say, after my usual run to the Farmer's Market, I spent the rest of the day, well, resting. I got home and made a smoothie. Normally I have enough for two days but after today's run, I drank the entire blender full! And I enjoyed the guilty pleasure of a bagel. I even made a pot of coffee, but was so tired I didn't bother to drink it.

So I am thinking about grabbing a cup, heating it up, and sipping on it now. I have a few errands to run and am debating what to fix for dinner tonight. I'm kinda craving a margarita with dinner and frankly, think I've earned it.

So bottoms up, Baby! I ran 10 miles!

No comments: