Saturday, June 23, 2007

Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head



This morning I ran eight miles . . . in the pouring rain.

I admit, I usually like running in the rain during the summer. It keeps me cool and makes the longer runs a little more comfortable.

Today was different though.

We changed our start time to 6AM which will be very helpful in the heat, but felt REALLY early this morning. I was up around 4AM to use the bathroom (I am working on making sure I am well-hydrated before a run, but it has its drawbacks) and then went back to sleep. Fortunately, Henry's appetite was fierce enough that he decided to walk on my head at 5:20AM. I shot out of bed and had to bust my butt to get Zoe walked, all animals fed, myself fed, dressed to run, and out the door by 5:45. Ugh. It wasn't easy, but I miraculously managed.

Needless to say I was still a little groggy when I got the the Amtrak Station. The rain I felt walking to our meeting spot helped a bit. The skies opening up as we waited for some stragglers helped a lot.

We ran for cover until the others arrived and chatted about the run ahead. By the time the others showed up, the worst of the heavy rain was over - or so we hoped. I was surprised by our numbers considering it was raining a bit. Coaches P & T were there, my friend Butter Hancock (still makes me chuckle), the Youngster (a woman who is maybe 25), the Mentor (our Team mentor), the Husband and Wife (our latecomers), Mustache (you can figure that one out), the other Redhead, and the Caboose (she called herself that, not me). At 6:15 our merry band was off and running.

Surprisingly, I'm usually up toward the front of the pack. This morning however, I could still feel the speed work from Thursday night and lagged behind a little. Even Coach T noticed. He said I sounded tired. Huh. Was I running heavy? Breathing heavy? I don't know but I admitted I felt a little tired. Nonetheless, I was putting one foot in front of the other and enjoying the light rain. It wasn't long until I was running with Coach T and the Youngster ahead of the rest.

Shortly after our first water stop, it started raining harder and Coach T said we needed to form a synchronized running team we were so wet. I lamely joked I needed a nose-plug for that and on we ran. The Youngster only stopped at the second stop to store her iPod in the water bin (yeah, electronics and rain don't mix) and she ran ahead. I sipped a little Powerade and took off behind her, just wanting to get the run done. Coach T stayed behind to run with some others.

It was about then it started to rain like mad. I mean crazy rain. You've heard the description of it raining UP, right? Yeah, that kind of rain. Soaking, serious, wring-your-shirt-out wet. I could hardly see for all the rain coming down. I could hear the shouts of either joy or agony behind me and all I could do was go forward.

I hit an underpass on the trail and there was the Youngster . . . waiting. She just wanted the company, and I was thankful for it as well. As we ran, we chatted above the sound of the rain and our splashing. Neither one of us was pleased with the change in the rain or in the weight of our shoes. It felt like we were carrying 5 pounds of water on each foot. As fun as it is when you're a little kid, the squishing is pretty grim as an adult.

We decided to skip water stop three and hit it after the turn-around. Remember my entry on running eight miles a couple of weeks ago? Remember how I said I didn't think it was a full eight miles. Well, as it turns out I was RIGHT and Coach P was WRONG and to my dismay he made the correction today. So I haven't gotten faster . . . and we had to run the entire distance today. Turns out there's a flagpole you need to get to before you can turn around. SIGH.

Anyway, we didn't know where that flagpole was, so as we crossed Airport Road, we looked back and signaled to the fuzzy Coach T we didn't know where to go. He sprinted up to us and helped us find the landmark (easy to spot once you get on top of it) and we cheered quietly as we turned around. We had made it half-way.

Coach T ran with us back to the water stop, but the half-marathoners were going 10 miles so he joined up with them and continued on. The Youngster and I had a brief respite from the rain onslaught under cover at the water stop and then took a deep breath and started to run again. As it turns out, it's the Youngster's first full marathon (she did the Indy Half not long ago) and so we chatted about her projected time and all. We have similar time goals and similar paces so I found out!

We continued on this way . . . complaining, chatting, and chuckling. Before I knew it, we were at the final water stop and the rain FINALLY lightened up. And not a moment too soon, because I was having trouble keeping my body temperature up (me? cold?) and my legs were getting very stiff. THIS is what I hate about running in the rain. If it gets too cold, then I'm in big trouble.

In spite of the rain and cold, we rain the eight no slower than I usually run it. We checked our names off the list (the Coaches like to keep track of everybody which is a really good thing) and chatted under cover with the Mentor and our new TNT Coordinator, but not for long. My hands and legs were turning blue and I was miserable.

When I got home, I got into the HOT HOT HOT shower and about 30 minutes later felt a little more like myself. I always marvel how we can run 8 miles and shower before most get out of bed on a Saturday! I didn't make it to the Farmer's Market though.

It has been raining most of the day. I know we need it and I'm happy for it. Well, now that I'm all cozy in my study with Cats N Jammer by my side. I have had enough raindrops on my head for one day, thank you.

No comments: