Friday, September 09, 2005

New Roommate?

Well, we've heard from our first "displaced" person from Katrina regarding our offer to house somebody. I'm surprised to have heard so soon and my housemate and I are eager to speak with him. We called and left a message for him only minutes ago.

Of course we have lots of questions. We worry about personal and property safety, we worry we'll be scammed, and we worry about being too careful! It's not easy opening your home to a stranger, but fortunately between the two of us we feel we can ask enough of the right kind of questions to ease our mind and make the right decision.

I so want this to work out!

Last night I woke up at 4:30 (nothing like the sound of cats in heat to wake you from a deep sleep) and from that point on could not stop thinking about Katrina and the frightening mess it left in its wake.

I keep thinking of that poor dog swimming after the press boat wanting to be rescued and being left behind. I keep thinking of the AWFUL photos of the folks who died violent deaths at the hands of other people while waiting to be rescued. I keep thinking of how our government keeps pointing fingers at everybody else and won't stand up and be accountable for its negligence! I am so angry and cannot believe the spin doctors are in place trying to smooth over the deaths of probably tens of thousands. I realize we are not responsible for the damage mother nature did (with the exception of the levee issue, but let's leave that for now) - but we ARE responsible for the damage that happened after the storm passed.

Stand up Mr. President and take on some of the blame. You are our commander in chief and I expect MORE from you. Tell your "buddy" Mr. Roberts to look for another job (because he was never qualified for it to begin with) and start working with the mayors and governors of those southern red states who put their trust in you and voted for you instead of trying to usurp their power. This was a human disaster of biblical proportions - surely you can understand that much.

If I HAD a senator or a congress-person I would be on the phone making my complaint heard. But of course, as a resident of this nation's capital, I have no voice. All I can do is wait for the next presidential election and do my damnedest to make certain your party is no longer calling 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. home.

And of course, I can offer up my little study to somebody without a home. Funny, I bet NONE of our great leaders with their big homes have done the same. It's all of us "little people" who make the real difference. Those in power that preach the Christian way don't very often act it. Isn't the expression "What would Jesus do?" I have a good idea what the answer to that is . . . but I don't imagine the powers that be have even bothered to ASK it.

It's a good thing I have an 18 mile run tomorrow . . . I'm going to need every one of those miles to release some of this anger and frustration . . . 'cause I'm pissed.

No comments: