Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Breaking Through the Wall

So I ran 18 on Saturday. Not a bad run, except that at mile 16 my side started cramping. Sometimes lessons are learned the hard way.

Coach R. was with us (he really likes running with our group - we're fast enough and, more importantly, fun enough) when I cramped up and our exchange went something like this:

Coach: What did you have for dinner last night?
Me: Thai food.
Coach: Did you eat late or early?
Me: Late.
Coach: Did you eat more than you usually eat?
Me: Yes.

Three strikes, you're out. Actually, the Thai food wasn't a problem, it was that I loaded a night too late. Come to find out (and I consider this lesson a very late one for me since this is my sixth marathon), you should eat your big meal two nights before a long run. Also, you shouldn't eat too much or too late the night before a run. SO . . . though I did the exact same thing for the 16-miler that felt so good, I wasn't able to repeat it.

The article linked to the title has lots of good advice for those later miles that seem to haunt me. I am working on eating during my longer runs and learning to drink sports drinks along the way, too. I eat my breakfast and am now wondering how I'm going to do THAT when the marathon begins at 5 AM! I will have to wake up at 3 AM to eat and drink and all that good stuff. I guess I'll have to prepare it the night before, too, since I doubt room service delivers at that hour (and my friends who are joining me probably wouldn't appreciate a middle-of-the-night delivery).

Runner's World actually has lots of good advice about marathon training. One of the things it discusses is speed work which I am FINALLY starting this weekend! I'm a little nervous . . . don't quite know why, but assume it's the unknown and being physically tested and all that. Plus, I'm really going to miss Team Tegla! I so enjoy running with them and I will miss the easy runs of 8 - 10 miles.

The change in weather has made my maintenance runs easier and more pleasant. Even Zoe is enjoying getting out there.

And, since my schedule has radically changed, it looks as if I might get to try out the advice in the linked article about running at the same time the marathon happens. UGH. 5 AM. Ugly ugly ugly, but possibly necessary considering my crazy schedule. It won't be easy since I'm getting home so late, but since I haven't been sleeping well anyway . . . why not?

So . . . I continue to read and try and test and train. And hopefully I will break through that wall and break my personal best.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, if it helps you on the day of, we wouldn't care about a little late night delivery

Anonymous said...

Um...yeah. I think we can deal with late night room service. It's all for the cause, right????