Saturday, September 24, 2005

Green Festival

I'm a tree-hugger. Okay, not exactly - but I definitely believe in preserving our environment and today, after I finish some work, I'm off with a couple of friends to the Green Festival.

I went last year and had a great time. The festival has lots of information about living and buying more "green". There are exhibits, information booths, lectures and free samples. The knowledge about global warming, alternative fuels, green homes, etc is out there - and up for grabs at the festival. Too bad we can't force Congress to attend.

I mean, really. We have a system in DC for the terror level - AND for the AIR QUALITY. Doesn't that tell the boys club something? At all? Apparently not.

It sure tells me something. I pay close attention to the air quality report - especially when I'm training - and pretty much ignore the terror level all the time. I'm not alone in my thinking, either. Shouldn't that tell the boys club something as well?

Fortunately, the air quality is good today and made for an easy 8 miler this morning. It's overcast and cooler, and though it looks like it wants to rain, it hasn't yet. We haven't had rain in a month and those poor folks in the gulf are water-logged again. It just isn't right.

At least I can do something about it in my own small way. I can live green - take public transportation (which I do), recycle (which I also do), buy green products and invest in renewable resources. My next car is going to be a hybrid unless the technology improves enough that gas is no longer needed. Imagine that! And imagine our air quality then. We'd sure have a lot more "code green" days. I wouldn't have to pay attention to the air quality level - I could just go out and run and not worry that it would feel like a cat was on my chest the whole way.

So I'm off to the Green Festival and praying for code green next Saturday when we run 20 miles.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope you're not feeling as frustrated now. Did you get lots of good free samples of "green" stuff like last year? :)