Saturday, March 22, 2008

Runnin' Down the Bunny Trail




I returned at 9 AM from a 10 mile run.

Before I went to bed last night, I vowed if there was snow on the ground I would go back to sleep. Of course I secretly wished it would snow. Well, the critters were up at 5:30 AM and when I looked out the window the roads were dry. Bummer. I would have to get up and run.

I turned on the Weather Channel to see if I could excuse the run because of the cold - and it was cold! - but tomorrow promised snow so I figured today would be less painful.

I haven't been running with TNT for many weeks. Between the weather and my schedule, I had no desire to be out on the trails at 7 AM on a Saturday morning. But as the half-marathon is a mere 5 weeks away, I knew I had to get back into a routine and today was the day.

When I arrived, I was surprised to be the first one there. Over the next few minutes many others arrived including Coach P and Coach T. They seemed pleased to see me and after announcements were made and running routes set, Coach T told us the Easter Bunny had been on the trail and left some eggs! How fun! An Easter egg hunt during our run! The eggs had numbers in them which corresponded with some prizes. Pretty cool!

So off we went.

It was a fun run in spite of the brutal wind. The wind was blowing in from the North pretty hard and we were fortunately running East/West. Except the last mile or so . . . due North into a cold, strong headwind. Yeah, that's fun.

But there were prizes to get! What isn't fun about that?

I collected four: mostly candy, but I also got a rubber ball (fun) and a Fred Flinstone toy I gave to Zoe. She was very pleased.

And it once again dawned on me how much better I run with company. Though I took Zoe out on Thursday morning, her heart wasn't into it and our run eventually became a walk. She's not a fan on on-leash running apparently. Still, it was better than NO run which is what Thursday would have been without her.

And today is the sort of the same. Without friends and fun along the route, I never would have gotten in ONE mile, much less ten. And though I was dreading going, by the time it was over I felt good and was so happy to have gone.

And I'm still feeling pretty good. Sure, I need to recover - a little coffee and breakfast will help.

Oh yeah, and a little chocolate from the main rabbit as I ran along the bunny trail.

No comments: