Saturday, March 29, 2008

8 Miles and the Shortest Phone "Interview" Ever

It's been a productive morning!

I ran 8 miles with TNT and joined them for breakfast (which for me meant a hot chocolate - I'm saving money) at the local Coffee House. It was a good run, but COLD. May I just go on the record saying I am SICK AND TIRED OF THE COLD! It was 25 degrees with a 14 degree wind chill. UGH. Will Spring ever arrive?

Anyway, I left the group around 9:30, got home and cooked an omelet and toast, and took care of a couple of e-mails. I spoke briefly with my nephews - they called to thank me for their birthday Game Stop gift cards. They finally used them today and were excited to let me know what games they got.

After breakfast I prepped a bit for a phone interview I've been trying to have with a school in North Carolina. I looked over the school and department website, checked out the city website, and reviewed some questions and answers. Feeling somewhat prepared, I made the phone call and once again got voice mail. UGH!

Fortunately, a very short time later, the search chair called me back. He thanked me for my patience and then said he wanted to bring me to campus.

WHAT?

No probing questions? No academic babble? No intellectual banter? No commiserating artists? I get to just visit your campus?

Huh.

Now, I'm not complaining, but I must admit it gives me pause. He certainly had valid reasons for the delay in the position search: a department splitting into two separate departments, a new spring break time, and an illness. Yet it seems strange he didn't bother to ask me ANYTHING except my availability to travel.

I mean, the entire conversation lasted MAYBE five minutes. He gave me the opportunity to ask my own questions, but I was so stunned by the turn of events I couldn't think of one that was so pressing I had to know it before I visited.

So sometime this week I'll be scheduled to visit North Carolina. Okay then! Off I go!

WHEW.

Remember the flood of which I spoke last entry? I take it back! I take it BACK!!! Naw . . . not really. I'd rather be in the game than a spectator.

Still . . . this job search has been a marathon of its own. It makes running Nashville in four weeks seem EASY.

1 comment:

SAS said...

Where in North Carolina? You can answer me off-blog if that would be more discreet...