Wednesday, March 19, 2008

DC Doings



Well, it was one hell of a trip. And I had a BLAST.

I really miss DC and more so, my friends in DC. I pretty much spent the week eating and drinking (and drinking, and drinking) with friends. I visited several favorite haunts: Franklins, Tunnicliff's, Old Siam, Banana Cafe, Old Ebbit, Congressional Cemetery (minus Zoe - WEIRD), and of course the Folger (I even got to see their production of Macbeth - it pays to know people). I also got to a couple of new places: Cafe Asia, Sonoma and Proof (yup, two wine bars with amazing food - both on the same night!) And to each of the places my friends willingly and happily accompanied me.

It was WONDERFUL. And I felt great. I felt HOME and MYSELF for the first time in a long time. I was city mouse again instead of country mouse and it just felt "right."

I also managed to get in a couple of runs while there. The weather was so much warmer than the Wasteland and I ran my old route around Capitol Hill and the Capitol Building. Spring is definitely springing in DC! Daffodils and other flowers are already in bloom and the blossoms on the trees are starting to appear. Springtime is the best time in DC (in my humble opinion). Of course, running without Zoe was STRANGE, but still good.

All the time I was there I kept asking, "Why the hell did I ever leave?" Now, I know the reasons and I'm not sorry for the time I've spent away, but it makes me wonder if I shouldn't run screaming back.

I told my mom and dad that I wouldn't make that decision without some time and distance away from my visit and without hearing about my potential teaching gigs. I know I need to wait and see, but the temptation is GREAT and the pull to DC is strong.

Of course, after today's phone interview with one school I'm not convinced I'll get an invitation to interview (that seems to be the current trend in my phone interviews). And one school I JUST applied to on Monday. I would love to end up at that school though. It's only about 45 minutes away from DC and half-time so I could return to the center of my universe and still pursue some artistic endeavors. Time will tell.

It's very strange living in this "suspended state" of unknowing. I move in about two months and have no idea where the moving truck will be going. I'm okay with it, but there are moments when I just want it to be decided.

In the meantime, I'm searching my heart for what might be best for me . . . the spectre of DC looming large with my recent visit . . . and trying to stay open and positive about all the options. And if what is lies ahead isn't DC, at least I know I can always visit.

I'll just click my heels three times and say, "I want to go home."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I heard teh Folger "McB" was terrific...what with the "magic" of Teller working for the show...I'll tell you all about the Patrick Stewart "McB" at BAM that we saw a few weeks ago when we catch up (in the words of Kevin Kline's "Otto" from "A Fish Called Wanda": "DISAPPOINTED!").
Tough place to be in babe...but the Universe is funny, sometimes it just likes to have a laugh while it's screwing with you and then things turn out fine...or they don't...but usually...except in some cases (like mine...)...
However, you'll land on tyour spunky little feet (as opposed to funky little speet) and be fine...
brian