Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Indian Runs and Intervals


Well, I just got back from my first "speed work" workout with TNT. I loved it! Yeah, I'm kooky that way.

It was raining and I even debated not going . . . but not for long. It was a cool rain and certainly more pleasant than most of these workouts will be temperature-wise. I wasn't terribly surprised to see only two others there besides me and Coach P (yup, different coach).

So after waiting and stretching, we figured we would be a small band of runners and off we went for a short warm-up. Then the Indian Runs began.

For those of you not in the know, Indian Runs mean you run in a straight line and the person in the back sprints to the front of the line, then falls back into the group pace. And so it goes for as long as coach says so. It was an odd group of running levels - even with only four - so we did that for about a half mile and kind of lost one of the group. She's a first time runner, so I was impressed she lasted as long as she did!

Then Coach P had us pick up the pace to the water stop. I ran much of the way with J, who had Leukemia as a child and lost his mother to Lymphoma. He's running the half-marathon and it was fun to have him on my heels . . . gave me the incentive to push a little.

After our water break, the rain really started to come down and it was time for Interval running. We'd run regular pace for 30 seconds, then pick it up for 30, back to regular pace for 30, then even faster for 30 . . . basically getting faster half of the minute until we were sprinting. We did that the whole way back and it actually felt really good!

I think officially finishing my teaching this morning helped. I got my grades in at 7AM and in two days will be in Tucson drinking and dining with old friends. I can't wait!

In the meantime, there is a list of things to be accomplished so I best get to it. I suppose a little speed work around the house is in order now.

1 comment:

lifestudent said...

ooohhhh we havent had to do those. I dont think I want to either! I also cant imagine loving our wed team workouts, I actually have nightmares the night before and can barely sleep ... then all day on Wed I worry about what is to come :)