Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Desert Distance


I went to Tucson a couple of weekends ago.
The trip was originally supposed to be a 10 year reunion with my MFA class (and adjacents), but in the end was a "girls" weekend with one of my classmates, her partner, and our good "adjacent" friend who was more or less celebrating 10 years of having earned her MA in the program.
We had a blast. We of course ate too much, drank too much (though not as much as we might have done) and enjoyed time in the sun.
Day one my PhD-to-be friend (yes, the adjacent who is back in Tucson teaching at our Alma Mater) picked me up at the airport and we took off for 4th Avenue, a fabulously funky section of town with little shops and fun places to eat and drink to meet up with the others. After hitting most of the stores and making a purchase or two, we hit The Shanty for some early margaritas in their garden seating. What a perfect way to start the trip!
The next morning I got up and ran a quick 4 miler or so as I needed to get in a maintenance run as well as some distance during the trip. It felt good to run along the Rillito River Walk again. The temperature wasn't too hot that early in the day and it was fun to see the Geckos and other odd wildlife along the path. I found a grove of mesquite trees (with maybe a Palo Verde or two mixed in) and ran just off the paved path for the cool shade. It was lovely. Of course, don't be fooled by the name "river walk." There wasn't a trickle of water in that wash . . . just sand and crazy desert plant life.
After my run, we met up with a former Professor for breakfast and enjoyed catching up with her. Then we walked along the main campus green, ran into other former friends and colleagues, and then we headed to Saguaro National Park. It was a warm afternoon and we decided to take the tram as far as it would go (flooding has impacted the park), walked up almost to the top, and then walked back. The walk back was especially stunning as the air was cooling down and we had more shade. We stopped along the way to enjoy the boulders and water and take a few photos. We heard some coyotes, but the mountain lions remained quiet and hidden from view (which is probably a good thing). By the time we got to our car, it was time to head back "home" to get ready for dinner.
We were off to La Fuente! This was a favorite place for us to go with family or friends visiting ('cause you can't afford it on a grad student budget) as the food is top-notch and we love the live music. We were missing our friend Rodda, though. She had planned on being there, but due to family obligations couldn't make it. Whenever I think of La Fuente, I think of Rodda. She is fluent in Spanish (first generation Cuban, she is!) and whenever the mariachi band would come by the table, she would sing with them. Since she couldn't be there in person, we called her as the musicians strolled by. We enjoyed more margaritas and some of the best table-side guacamole you'll ever have. After dinner we went down memory lane via a bar crawl and enjoyed two out of three of our old haunts.
We began the next day with brunch at the well-appointed home of PhD-to-be's mother and step-father. After yet another amazing meal, we adjourned to their backyard and pool. We all needed the R&R poolside and found it difficult to pull ourselves away from the place. But other adventures called. We returned to 4th Avenue as one of us was eager to get her nosed pierced and 4th Avenue would be the place to do it. Naturally, others jumped on the band wagon and when all was said and done, three of us had piercings we didn't have before we arrived. Sadly, we had to split up at that point . . . two were off to see family in Phoenix so the PhD-to-be and I hit the Frog and Firkin for a pint on their patio before cleaning up for another dinner out.
It was time to catch up with the Amazing J and her husband Pastor D. For all intents and purposes, J was in charge of us grad students and without her none of us would have gotten out alive. Seriously. Pastor D wasn't a Pastor when I knew him all those years ago, but he's cooler than ever and we enjoyed a quick ride on his new motorcycle before heading to dinner. I am so glad we caught up! I became friends with them later in my short program and wish now I had more time to get to know them.
We ate a huge meal, drank some fine drinks, and returned to their home to chat some more . . . and before long we were all feeling every bit of those ten years older and ready for some sleep!
It's a good thing, too, as I had my 7 miles to run the following morning before I caught my plane home.
Yeah, seven on my own. It was back to the river walk, the dry wash, and the palo verde trees. As I got started, I thought of the miles ahead of me and realized I'd never get there thinking about THAT. So instead, I began to think of distance behind me: ten years. Whew. I'll tell you, it flew by.
I thought of who I was when I left my MFA program and what dreams I had . . . and thought of how far I've traveled from both. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe I've given up on my dreams, but certainly they've evolved like I have. And I never thought I'd be HERE . . . in the town that holds the distinction of being the capital of Beernuts . . . but I didn't really know where I would be. I had ideas related to my dreams, but admit I have remained pretty flexible and have allowed life to move me more than I've tried to control it. I spent the miles considering the roads I didn't follow and those I did.
And looking back, I wouldn't change one mile of the past ten years. Sure, some were harder than others, but in those harder miles I see my friends' cheering me on and easing my pain. I see me overcoming the struggle and not surrendering to it. And it those miles I brag about.
Same goes for the marathon.
Funny that.
I just hope my next distance in the desert doesn't take another 10 years to run.

No comments: