Thursday, September 18, 2008

Health and Wellness

Today, I am off to the doctor for an annual exam. Oh joy, oh rapture.

A new town, a new doctor . . . and more new forms to fill out! The good news is my university's health and wellness center mailed them to me when I made the appointment. The bad news is I waited until today to fill them out.

Now I am good with all of my current health conditions and I'm pretty good about my family history . . . with a few exceptions. So, at my age, I am once again calling my parents to find out about some family history. It's pretty ridiculous. Even more ridiculous is the fact that, after finding out about my family history and hanging up the phone, I realized I needed to get my immunizations information. Jeez! So I call back, but the keeper of the records (MOM) has left the house. So I am off to my first appointment with incomplete forms. SIGH.

Still, most of the stuff is fine and I am in relatively good health. So it should be an uneventful visit.

And yet it seems like every time I visit a doctor, they find SOMETHING just a little bit (or a lot a bit) wrong with me. I'm not a hypochondriac and I am not prone to exaggeration when it comes to my health . . . but seriously, I visit the doctor (or dentist, or eye doctor) and SOMETHING is wrong (anemia, cavity, new glasses prescription). So I'm always just a bit nervous about going.

And to make matters worse, this is the first of TWO visits to doctors I have this coming month.

I know regular exams are important. I DO. But as I get older I worry more. Plus, my current issues with hives and fatigue don't do much to bolster my confidence. Sure, the herbs are making a difference, but my legs are still covered with sores and I'm still ready to collapse by 8pm every night. UGH.

And going to a new doctor is never easy. Sure, I see a new one nearly every year with all the moving around and change in insurance I've had. But that doesn't mean I like it or am used to it.

And let's face the worst of it, shall we? NOBODY likes to be poked and prodded with sharp instruments in sensitive places! Aside from reading all the humorists versions of exams and procedures, there is little pleasant about seeing a health practitioner - healthy or not.

So wish me luck as I venture back into the . . . office. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

be strong, lil' trooper!
be strong!
Brian

Hillary said...

Wishin' ya luck! PC has continued to poke and prod and inject us, too.

And OF COURSE I was kidding about the cockfighting! C'mon...I didn't even go to a real one, just a practice session. They strap blades to the poor little buggers in the real fights, no way I could ever watch that.