Thursday, September 27, 2007

Pop Quiz

Today I was one of those teachers.

Yeah, one of those teachers who knows the majority of her students aren't reading the material assigned (or if they are, not with any retention) and to test her theory gives a pop quiz.

They bombed.

Does it make me feel good? Not at all! I don't enjoy giving quizzes and making them feel badly, but I needed to make a point. The reading isn't negotiable. The material is important and worth their thoughtful consideration. I think I got their attention.

I gave the quiz at the top of class and man were they invested in the rest of the class!

Of course, it makes me sad it has to come to that. I'll admit, I slacked off on reading assignments when I was an undergrad - I remember what it was like. But I chose carefully what I didn't read! I use a good deal of the vocabulary from the book, and when I first introduce a word in class I either define it or ask them to define it. However, I don't LECTURE from the book. I USE the ideas presented in the book in exercises and in class projects. So - duh! - you gotta read it and understand it to even know what the heck I'm talking about!

SIGH.

What really gets me is I don't give them an inordinate amount of homework. AND, aside from me announcing the reading is due, it is clearly outlined on the syllabus. Frankly, I think they have it easy on the homework scale. But the material isn't a cake-walk (like so many seem to believe and therefore choose the class).

I think I've decided to change the syllabus for next semester. Though it means more work for me, I'm going to give regular quizzes in conjunction with the reading. Perhaps that will solve the problem.

But I'm getting ahead of myself a bit here . . .

At least I'm learning and adapting with each new class. I like that part of repeating classes. I don't have to come up with a completely new prep, but I can make changes - get rid of things that don't appear to work and add things I hope will. It's kind of fun to think of fine-tuning the class each semester.

Yeah, I actually put the word fun with my job.

I admit, I'm not sure academia is for me. I love being in the classroom, but I despise grading, meetings, most committee work, and the political posturing and games. So . . . much of the time there is more pain associated with my job than not. But it IS getting better. Or maybe I'm just handling it better.

Now, please put your books away and take out a pen or pencil.

3 comments:

lifestudent said...

I give my students pop quizes. The primary use is to "test" attendance...if they miss a quiz they miss quiz points and also attendance points. But its also used as a general gauge to check their listening and understanding. I make them really simple. There isnt a lot of time alloted, but they can use their notes if they have them. Most of them get good scores and I think it boosts their esteem in the class...but its amazing how many of them bomb them. I feel bad giving them, but do think they serve a purpose :) Good for you for putting a little fear into them!

Anonymous said...

Wow. Can I just cut and paste your entry into my blog???

Anonymous said...

Fear is a great motivator...I have to admit that I used to enjoy the look on the faces of my Stagedoor kids when I'd remind them that it wasn't MY ass getting up on stage in front of their parents in less than ...(whatever the time frame was...). And it was AMAZING how quickly they would learn their lines after one of those comments...