Sunday, September 23, 2007

Back on the Boards, Baby!

Believe it or not. I hardly believe it myself.

Yes, I'm getting back on the boards. It's all a bit crazy and though I'm very excited, I'm also very nervous.

'Cause my next show is for the University. Yup . . . the University. The same University that has been the source of much unhappiness for me these past six months.

It's a bit of a whirlwind and only just happened, but let me tell you the story.

So every year our department produces a play that is written by, or tells the story of, an under-represented population. This year we are doing a Native American play - a really fascinating piece called The Unnatural and Accidental Women. I wouldn't call it an easy play, in form or content; its a surrealist dramatization of a thirty-year murder case involving a large number of Native American women.

Normally, at least one role in this production slot is filled by a community member. And the director looked and looked but wasn't happy with the auditions. At a casting meeting earlier this semester, the director expressed her woes and said she would gladly cast a number of the women sitting around the table (all faculty) - and then looked directly at me and said something along the lines of, "In fact, I'm looking right at a person I would cast right now." Now, she had seen me audition in December as she was directing for a summer gig I wanted, and had told me then she really liked my work so I wasn't floored, but I was surprised.

Considering the political situation I find myself in on campus, I just smiled at her (not wanting to inflame The Wicked Witch of the Midwest who was among those present). However, the next day I sent her an e-mail letting her know, though I didn't show it at the meeting, I would be pleased to read for the role she was having trouble casting. She replied she was happy to know that and would get back to me.

Well, she finally did on Thursday. She found me in the doorway of another colleague's office and whisked me away to her office to offer me the role outright. I accepted on the condition that she okayed it with my union (didn't want to shoot myself in the foot) and after a phone call and signing a letter the deal was sealed.

SO . . . I will once again be an ACTOR. I am THRILLED. And TERRIFIED. I mean . . . my job is tenuous enough but now The Wicked Witch is pissed off and I have to "prove" myself in my craft. WHEW. I absolutely cannot suck.

The role isn't huge (thank God), but is important as she is lends strength, humor, love, and patience to the piece.

Oh, and I have to be naked.

Okay, NEARLY naked. Naked enough.

No pressure - NONE AT ALL!

I'm not really worried about the naked part in the sense that I am comfortable being naked on stage. I'm less secure in how comfortable everyone else will be! I mean, I'm working with, and performing for my colleagues and students! So I am taking it on as an opportunity to be a model for what I teach in class: saying yes, active choice-making, vulnerability, professionalism, etc. I am hoping that is enough to keep me grounded through what could be a very nerve-wracking experience.

Because aside from my situation in the department and being naked in front of my students, I am also worried about serving a play about Native women (Cree specifically) as an obviously Caucasian woman. Yes, my hair will be dyed. And perhaps I will suggest brown contacts. But can I TRUTHFULLY represent this woman? I realize it is an actor's job to find a way using the tools she possesses, but there is an unfortunate irony here that doesn't escape me. How do I move past that to fill this woman's shoes?

Oh wait, she's not wearing any shoes! Okay, poor display of humor . . . just another clear indication that I am not completely comfortable tackling this role. SIGH.

However, that won't stop me. In fact, it makes for an interesting class discussion!

So that's that. I'm back on the boards. And if you're not doing anything in December, come on by and see me (a LOT of me)! I'd welcome the feedback. Meegweetch.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right. You absolutely cannot suck.

Mainly because, you sucking is implausible, impossible, and generally so not going to happen in this lifetime.

We'll catch up soon...

Anonymous said...

Whoohoo! Very Exciting News! I am SOOO happy for you!

And carrie is right...sucking is just not going to happen.

xoxoxHill

Anonymous said...

Naked!?
Wait a minute....Naked?!
Umm...When is the show?
heeheeheehee....
You'll be fabulous and that'll piss that wickedy witch off even more!
Go, Dot!
Break legs...and...wait a minute...you already did that, so it's in da bag!
Brico
PS - I love this: my word verification is "khtutnuu"

Anonymous said...

Who wrote this play? The two of us here in the theatre at NMAI have never heard of it, but it sound interesting.

Janet

Anonymous said...

BTW - You could probbaly dig up some old body make-up from "Boone."

SAS said...

You'll be wonderful. Yeah!

Anonymous said...

...and I should learn to spell..."probbaly?" Sheesh!