Thursday, August 09, 2007

X-Rays and Bone Scans


SIGH. It's come to this.
Last week I had some x-rays taken of my left leg at my primary doctor's recommendation. She got back to me with good news - according to HER, the x-ray was all clear. However, she suggested I confer with the orthopedist anyway to make certain. On her all clear I ran 16 painful miles Saturday and then met with my orthopedist on Monday.
The orthopedist had a different opinion about the x-rays. He pointed out a bright line that follows the area of intense pain I'm experiencing and said it could be one of two things: 1. (Best Case Scenario) a vein, or 2. (Worst Case Scenario) a stress fracture.
Ugh. So he prescribed a bone scan to rule out #2.
The bone scan is today. I've already gone in for my "radioactive" medicine and preliminary pictures. I'll admit, aside from the technician having trouble with my rolling veins (multiple needle pricks), I was fascinated! I got to watch the medicine move through my veins on a little screen as it took the pictures. Very cool stuff.
In a few hours, I go back for the full scan and then hope for the best. I'm not certain how quickly I'll get the results, but the orthopedist said I needed to treat it as a stress fracture until we know better. Which of course means no running. I would be tempted to run if it weren't for the very grim description he gave of what would happen should the fracture actually break. Imagine bones going through muscle and skin. You've heard of "scared straight"? Well, I'm "scared sitting".
Needless to say, my frustration is mounting. The marathon is a mere two months away and as hard as those last two miles of 16 were over the weekend, my mind boggles at how I'll add another TEN to that and survive! Obviously a stress fracture might put me out of the race entirely . . . we'll have to see. But should the best news come, I'm still nursing an injured leg and worried about the last few long runs and the race. I miss the healthy body that finished the previous six marathons. Where did that body go?
Well . . . no point in crying for what isn't. No matter what the outcome of today's bone scan, I'll just have to pick myself up and move forward with what's been handed me.
Naturally, I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let us know, Dot! we're all here for you!
B

Anonymous said...

I deflect the possibility of stress fractures with BALLS BALLS BALLS!