Saturday, August 25, 2007

Alaska Anyone?

Okay, so I'm not running Chicago. I'm disappointed, but it's not the end of the world.

The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society has generously offered me another choice of races within this fiscal year. There are four I can choose from that will allow me the maximum time to heal:

*Country Music Marathon, Nashville, Tennessee - April 26, 2008
*Indy Mini Half Marathon, Indianapolis, Indiana - May 3, 2008
*Rock 'n' Roll San Diego Marathon, San Diego, California - June 1, 2008
*Mayor's Marathon, Anchorage, Alaska - June 21, 2008

My brother, nephew, and I discussed running the Country Music Half-Marathon last April so that's a race that's been on my radar for a while. It's near my brother so his family could come and watch, and my nephew and I wouldn't have to travel terribly far. Should I choose this race, I would run the full marathon and maybe get those two to do the half. It could be a fun family event. However, last year that weekend proved to be really difficult with my teaching schedule. Might it not be tricky again this year?

I'm disinclined to run Indy. I hear it's a fun time, but I'm not a NASCAR fan and I don't get jazzed up to run around the Indy 500 track. I just don't. Besides, it's in Indianapolis and I can go there any weekend I want. But why would I want to? I don't mean to trash what I am sure is a lovely city, but it's just not top on my list.

San Diego is awesome and listening to Rock-n-Roll along the route might be just what I need to run a solid, consistent race. I love southern California anytime . . . and it would be another destination marathon that I could turn into a little vacation. School will be out for the summer, and early June is a more flexible time. With the exception of a three mile climb early in the race, the course looks pretty flat and beautiful. Plus, I would get a free beer at the finish line! Again, they have a half-marathon so I might be able to drag some family along with my friends. It's a promising choice.

As I am sure you have guessed though, my first choice is ALASKA! I've never been, it's summer solstice, and I would turn it into an amazing vacation like I did when I ran Honolulu! Sadly, one of the Hula Ladies won't be available to join the fun if I choose to go as she'll be off to Kazakhstan for her two-year stint in the Peace Corps. But that still leaves two of the Hula Ladies and an invitation to all others who would like to partake! Plus, they also offer a half-marathon so I might be able to convince my brother to make the trip.

The difficulty in choosing this far out is I just don't know what next summer will bring. I have no job security and that makes me nervous. Plus, I want to audition for summer stock and should I be cast, a late June race date would surely be a conflict.

Still . . . I have time to decide and could even change races up to sometime in February if I had to. So, yeah, I'm leaning toward Alaska.

And I'm getting excited.

Any Eskimos out there ready to join me? :)

3 comments:

lifestudent said...

I would have the same vibe...San Diego or Alaska. One thing I was talking about today during my 18 was the fact that we might be at a bit of a disadvantage training in Chicago for other races. If you train in San Fran for Chicago - does the marathon seem "easy" because of the flatness? And the other way around, are we just shocked at the true magnitude of hills when we run outside of our little flat world? I say - go with the flattest. But, I think Alaska would be awesome - whats the terrain like? San Diego you can visit anytime :)

Anonymous said...

I suppose the nice thing is that the dates for San Diego and Anchorage are close enough that it would only be minor adjustments to your training to switch between those...right? Either way, I'm in! Nashville would be harder--for the same reasons it would be hard for you--but if that's the one you decide to do--and Hula H can make that one, but not the other two, I'll make it happen.

Oh, and I checked out the Anchorage course--looks like some elevation--but downhill from about mile 17 on. And they have several marked visitor points set up for our cheering pleasure!

Can't wait to hear where my next marathon vacation lies!

xox
Hula C

Anonymous said...

Hula H is sad she will be missing all the fun as she attempts to adjust to life in whichever 'stan she's being sent to...

But either San Diego or Alaska would be awesome fun for you and the rest of the Hula girls!

Do you suppose they run marathons in Tajikistan?