Tuesday, March 14, 2006

On the Boardwalk


Yesterday, I ran on the boardwalk at Ocean City. What a spectacular morning! What a spectacular weekend!

What a tease, really though. By week's end it might snow says my co-worker and arm chair meteorologist. At least I got my running in - not one but two mornings.

Of course, I spoke to my brother today and he's running about 4 - 5 days/week. ACK. I'm positively sloth-like in my approach to this 1/2 marathon by comparison. SIGH. Well, to each his own.

There's something special about running on the beach. The sound of the waves is soothing and manages to boost me up with its tireless motion. Depending on where you run, there truly is "no finish line" as ahead of you is always room to run. Most times, there is a breeze to keep you cool. Time ceases to exist in that environment and when you've finished, you marvel at how EASY it was to run your distance.

Zoe ran with me - she loves running on the beach, too. There are seagulls to chase, waves to swim in, and sand to roll on. She becomes a puppy again where we're seaside.

Perhaps that's it for me, too. The beach is a place (regardless of PLACE) that reminds me of my childhood. Many summer days were spent on the New Hampshire coast playing in the sea and sand and goofing off at the boardwalk. So perhaps all of my mental and emotional images of the beach are joyful and care-free (or BAGGAGE FREE).

Of course running is easy when you're feeling LIGHT and JOYFUL. So it's time to embrace the boardwalk in all of my running routes.

No comments: