Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Best Times

One of Team Tegla forwarded this to me yesterday. I was surprised I hadn't read it myself, yet, but was so happy to have taken my own trip down memory lane.

Like John Bingham, I had a "best time" in Honolulu - just in a different way. I went my fabulous friends, ran with my terrific teammates, surfed, sailed, ate and drank on probably the best vacation I've ever had. All this with no official time result to due a malfunctioning chip. And yet, I had a BEST TIME.

As I learn to embrace running as a life-style instead of something I have to do, I find this trip down memory lane to be a great reminder of what racing can be for me. FUN.

I'm happy to say I ran today. I didn't have to, but I did. It felt great - in spite of the chilly air the sun was shining, Zoe joined me quite happily, and I even managed a few chipper hellos to fellow runners. Normally, I'm lucky to raise my hand in a little wave. Why the change? I don't know. Perhaps my attitude adjustment has commenced. Perhaps I'm learning to embrace running as a ZEN experience instead of needing to prove or accomplish something.

So hopefully this is the beginning of my "training." And will lead to many more "best times."

No comments: