Friday, December 16, 2005

Unofficial Results


Well, I'm back on the mainland now . . . arrived at 6:30 this morning after a 22 hour trip. Leaving the 70 degree weather to come back to the remnants of an ice storm is pretty depressing. Tack on an audition at 11:30 and work until 9:30 and I'm not certain I'll be able to find my way home! WHEW.

So . . . get to the point, silly. THE MARATHON: It was hot and it was crowded. It wasn't my best run and it wasn't my worst run. I had moments of great joy and I had moments of great pain.

I finished. I got my medal, my shell necklace, and my t-shirt - but I didn't get any results. Really.

I have an idea what time I finished (about 4:45) based on how my Tegla Teammates finished, but I am the only one without an "official time." Perhaps my chip malfunctioned, but for some reason the universe decided that it didn't really matter. Hang loose, surfer girl - who cares about the time if you crossed the line! And you know, in Hawaii, I can really embrace that mentality!!!

What mattered in the end was I had three amazing friends there to cheer me on - and I got to see them three times along the route and again at the finish. What mattered was all of my teammates finished, too. What mattered was I had a terrific massage after, and then a bowl of guilt free ice cream. What mattered was, though my last three miles sucked, I was able to get up the next morning and learn to surf. What mattered was I then climbed Diamond Head. What mattered was I then celebrated my birthday (Hau'oli lahanau to me!) on a sunset Mai Tai booze cruise and a great dinner at Dukes.

What mattered was the amazing vacation I got with dear friends in a beautiful setting with perfect weather.

Who cares about TIME???

The only time I cared about TIME was when I had to leave.

So let's leave the time results UNofficial - fast, slow, win, or lose. And let's declare the trip an official WIN.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sarah rocked - we are so proud of her!

Prague 2006 here we come!!!!!