Thursday, August 19, 2010

New Shoes

Well it's about damn time is all I can really say!

I finally bit the bullet and invested in some new running shoes. I have been running regularly - despite my lack of posting - and am scheduled for a 14-miler on Saturday. After my 12-miler two weeks ago, I decided I wasn't setting myself up to succeed and determined new shoes were in order. My 12-miler was certainly more successful than my 10-miler (seriously, almost ANYTHING would have been better than THAT fiasco). Still, I hurt after and my feet were sore and swollen.

Okay, okay - all you runners out there will say that's normal for long distances in the heat. I should have said my feet hurt more and were more swollen than usual.

So, yesterday I made a trip to my local running store and tried a few pairs on. Now, I am generally brand faithful to Asics, but for whatever reason the past two times I've visited my local running store they haven't had any in stock (probably because they are popular). So, I tested out a pair of Saucony and two pairs of Mizunos. After much deliberation and running on the treadmill (in my work clothes - silly), I went with a pair of Mizunos. The good news is, my running store will take them back, no questions asked, within 30 days. So I can basically test drive them for 30 days! It's an awesome policy and I applaud them for really wanting their customer to be happy. I could have waited 2 weeks for some new Asics to arrive, but I admit I'm worried about the 14-miler and wanted to have some new shoes for that.

I ran in them this morning, and other than sticking a little to the new street pavement, I was happy with them. So I look ahead to Saturday and wonder if I'll get the run in or if it will wait until Sunday morning. I hate to change days, but the forecast calls for morning thunderstorms on Saturday and though that means slightly cooler temps, I'm not a fan of hard rain long runs. At least I have options.

Since my last post, not much has happened outside of my running life. I've started prepping for fall classes and a week ago had a class cancelled due to low enrollment. I'm pretty pissed off because I teach in BFA program and it was an upper-level scene study class that graduating seniors MUST have in order to graduate. Not only that, but I submitted on MONDAY a way to satisfy the student needs with my teaching load and I still haven't gotten word on if it has been approved! Seriously? Classes start on MONDAY. It's now THURSDAY. When am I supposed to prep for my change is course load and notify the students??? My department head actually got snippy with me for asking him yesterday. Really? Administration created this mess and I'm trying to fix it! Don't get snippy with me!!!

WHEW. Sorry, I'm getting mad all over again.

I also had a friend visit me from DC. It was a short, but sweet, visit. We didn't do much as she really just wanted to spend time at my house with my dogs.

Aside from that, it's business as usual. My critters are keeping me busy . . . though Jake appears to be settling down a LITTLE. He's only jumped the fence once since my return (knock on wood). Now if I could just get him to stop barking at Henry. SIGH.

That's about it. I'll let you know if I keep my new shoes. I'll also let you know how 14 miles go.

Some days I wonder why I'm a runner.

No comments: