Friday, November 21, 2008

Graduation


Last night Stella graduated from her Beginner Obedience Class - HURRAH!
Frankly, I wasn't convinced it would happen. It was a difficult test and she can be pretty stubborn - especially on the down/stay. She certainly doesn't like the down command and even if she settles into it, she's unlikely to stay there if I move. And to top it off, she wasn't allowed a treat during the command. UGH.
But she surprised me. After several tries, she settled into the down and stayed - for a moment. It was enough for our instructor to think she was ready to move on so I accepted that and we are gearing up for an intermediate class in December.
I debated taking Buster to beginner instead, but Stella is far bigger and more obstinate than Buster so I figured my time and money is better spent on her. After we finished, and Stella had her photo taken in her cap (no gown) and was given her graduation gifts, our instructor Val said she was "very impressed." She also said she didn't say that to many people . . . she usually just said "congratulations" and waved them on their merry way. I was thrilled! I think in my next life I'm going to work with dogs (or animals in general) so getting a compliment from a professional was especially nice to hear. I've debated going to school to learn to be a professional trainer myself . . . time and money always seem to keep me from following through.
Still, Stella and I have a lot of work to do! She is quite good alone with me and minds very well in public; but get her with Zoe and Buster or at home and she's another beast entirely. I'm hoping the next round of classes will help all that.
But for now, my little girl has accomplished something and I'm proud.
Of course, the toy Val gave her is already in pieces . . . and I'm hiding the treats.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YAH!
Hooray for stella! Stella for Star, baby!
Brico