Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Guilty Pleasures

This morning I had pop-tart after some cereal. And as I took each consecutive bite, I began to feel guilty about my morning indulgence. Extra sugar, extra calories.

So I got to thinking about life's guilty pleasures. We all have them. And some of us are able to resist them more readily than others. As I have stated before in this blog, I have absolutely no will-power so resistance is futile in my case.

I enjoy lifestudent's blog a lot and apparently some of her guilty pleasures are Easter candy, cake, and pastries.

I guess I have to ask why the guilt? I mean, supposedly you only go around once, so why do we feel badly when we ENJOY life's abundances? That's nuts!

So let's celebrate our guilty pleasures. Here are some of my top indulgences and, no doubt, I will add to the list in future posts:

Cheese (pretty much any kind, and in any form)
Bread (with the cheese is especially yummy)
Wine (mostly red, but I enjoy white and sparkling as well)
Margaritas (duh)
Queso (see cheese, above)
Eating out
Sex with a certain kind of man (ah, who am I kidding? - I never feel guilty about THAT)
Avoiding work

I think we've come to the crux of the conversation. I've been avoiding work, in the form of grading, a lot this past month. Last night PhD was a busy bee grading overdue midterms and even her excellent example couldn't motivate me to get going on a pile of papers that really must be done this week.

I say I don't care, after all I'm outta here in just two months, but obviously the guilt attached to NOT doing the work proves the opposite.

So what's a girl to do?

Hmmm . . . pop tart anyone?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the record, I just read this whilst diving into a can of Pringles with a carbonated beverage. In my bathrobe--which I put on as soon as I got home today.

I think that qualifies as at least four guilty pleasures....

And while I did get the midterms done...I'm still behind. ;-)

lifestudent said...

Ok, so there is this 6 word mantra/mission going around and I got tagged. Thought I would pass along the honor. Consider yourself
tagged.
By the way, I also quite like cheese :)