Monday, July 23, 2007

Pain, Pain, Go Away

So, you haven't heard from me in a week . . . but that's because I've had nothing new to post. I have been "enjoying" the IRS. No, not the dreaded federal agency . . . Ice, Rest, and Stretch. I even skipped Saturday's 10-miler to try to help my healing.

And today, I was feeling much better, and decided to run.

And the pain came right back. Don't get me wrong. I still ran. I ran 5 miles. I can run through the pain . . . the question is, should I?

Believe it or not, it's a valid question. Sometimes you just need to run through the pain to get past it. I'm just not sure this is the kind of thing I should run through.

And my frustration is mounting. I finally got my bike back from the bike shop, so that's good. I have gotten in a couple of really nice rides. And I continue to go to my yoga class. But nothing replaces the running. I am trying to follow the advice of my coach and this Doc in Runner's World. Granted, Doc Maraham says it takes a couple of weeks to improve so maybe one more week of IRS will help. SIGH.

If all else fails, I need to go see a sports doctor and get a true diagnosis. Better safe than sorry, right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely better safe than sorry!

Sending good pain-free mojo your way!

Anonymous said...

Having had shin splints in high school track, here's a couple of other ways to help (or they used to be...I'm not certain what the current status is on them):running on grass, slowing your speed, orthotics to help prevent the pronation and flexing your foot upwards as you sit with your legs dangling over the end of a becnh or chair with a very light weight attached (if posible)...helps strengthen the muscles that run up the sides of the tibia/fibula...at least, that was the theory years ago...but rest is crucial...we used to smear "atomic balm on our shins and wrap them with athletic tape and that would help for sprints and such, but they're not goin to do much for distance, i would think...That's all the advice I have for now!