Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Heat and the Hill

This morning I got up a little earlier than usual to run. I wanted to get out before the heat became unbearable. How silly of me! With the temperature already above 80 degrees, high humidity, and a code red air quality the day started unbearable.

When I opened the door, the furnace blast hit me; I began to sweat and Zoe began to pant instantly. I figured we may as well get it over with - it won't be pretty but it has to get done.

Before I got to Lincoln Park I was soaked and Zoe was none to enthusiastic about the work out. But I kept cheering her on and before I knew it we were at the fountains. She jumped right in and I could see the disappointment on her face. Wondering what could possibly be disappointing about the fountain when you're a water dog, I dipped my hand in and felt why - it was WARM. Not exactly the chance to cool her paws it usually is. She took a couple of gulps and jumped out as quickly as she jumped in.

She was mildly revived by the hydration and bossed me down the hill to where we turn around.

And head UP hill.

I've spoken of running Capitol Hill before. It's on our regular route and an important part of my run as it's the only hill I regularly run.

Today it was Capitol Hell. Seriously, it was damn hot and where Zoe will normally encourage me up the hill, I practically had to DRAG her up it. Nothing like a little 65 lb. resistance in your workout! Ugh. We were running, as usual, along the south side of Independence Ave and as I ran I stared longingly at the other side of the street - the sprinklers were on and soaking the sidewalk. I just didn't have enough energy to cross the street! Besides, it would have required stopping for traffic and breaking your stride mid-hill is the kiss of death - even more so in the heat. So I chugged along pulling Zoe wondering why I hadn't crossed the street at the bottom of the hill and praying we'd reach the top.

Of course we reached the top - we always do. And once it's passed us, it never feels as bad as I was thinking while running it. I suppose the hill is often difficult just because I'm THINKING it is. I guess I only have one more chance to be challenged by the Hill before the move.

Bring it on.

No comments: