Sunday, November 13, 2005

4 Weeks

Yup, in a short four weeks, I will be running the Honolulu Marathon. At exactly this time, in fact (if you consider the time difference).

Yes, it's a 5AM start and from what I learned on my 26 mile run yesterday, I'll be glad for it.

That's right. I ran 26 miles yesterday. I'm tired today, but I felt strong the entire run so I continue to feel very positive about race day.

Team Tegla had a guest with us yesterday and she really inspired me. She ran Honolulu last year so had all sorts of good advice about that particular marathon. We should be prepared for the heat once the sun rises (1/2 way into the race, by my calculation) and should definitely carry our water bottles and run with our walk ratio like we have been in training. Of course I always question that, but one reason she inspired me is because she ran Chicago recently and finished in 3:48 - with the walk ratio - and she's 44! I'm so impressed! So based on her advice, I believe most of Team Tegla will race together and race well.

I can't believe it's so close now. One of my friends is practically packed, she's so excited to go. I'm getting there, but all I can manage at this time is to put one foot in front of the other. Granted, yesterday's run was a big deal and helped me realize I'm that much closer and, ultimately, ready for it. Still, I have three animals to care for, a Thanksgiving to plan, and work to do before I can leave.

But let me tell you, once I get on that plane, I'm leaving it all behind me for six days and enjoying every moment of being free from responsibility. I can't WAIT to PLAY.

And play is just 4 weeks away.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now play is just 23 days away!