Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Plan

Well, it's six months to the day of the Tucson Marathon. I have spent the past few months running rather sporadically, so today I made a PLAN.

I pulled out my old MARATHON book by Jeff Galloway and put together a running plan in excel. Now, had this been a few years ago, I would have put a plan together with a time goal in mind. But as it has been 5 years, I've had a bad stress fracture, and gained some weight since my last full marathon, I decided to design a plan "to finish."

But at least it's a PLAN.

And a thoroughly thought out plan at that. I even looked up my teaching schedule to make sure that my running days were days that I had a later first class. I have my trusty 35 minute warm-up (thank you Fight Guy) for cross-training days and have even folded down the page of a 7 minute strength training guide from Runner's World which I will do every day before I run. I won a free 3 month membership to a local gym so, come August or September, I will go ahead and join in preparation of the COLD weather. I'll have no excuses not to run or cross-train. And, if I have any money come August, I might actually buy a copy of P90X for my own.

Today I'm going to read a good chunk of this old book. I got it when I trained for my first ever marathon (part of the AIDS Marathon Package), but I honestly don't think I ever cracked it open. Perhaps it will remind me why I want to do this crazy thing. And of course it will be full of good advice.

This morning I ran with Stella and Jake. I delivered Bennet to his new owners yesterday so it will be a little easier now with just the two (although as a puller, Bennet managed to keep us at a pretty brisk pace). I didn't get out until about 8 AM and it was already ridiculously hot and humid. Definitely the worst morning run we've had in a while. Still, we did it. It was a mere 3 miles, but that's okay. We're right on track in terms of training and I've run 5 in the not-too-distant past so I'm not worried.

My biggest hurdle is the long runs. In the past, I've always trained with a group and a coach. So I never had to worry about water/sports drinks along the way or even what route I needed to take to get in my mileage. And having others to run with made the miles pass quickly. Unless I can find a group that trains on Saturday mornings, I will need to be my own coach and motivator. This is my greatest concern.

Another concern, though less daunting, will be my diet. I know I need the proper fuel to train well and so I am going to have to be very careful about what I put into my body for the next six months. I have made a list for this week and plan on trying a few new recipes even. I leave in two weeks for a month on the East Coast. I know part of the time I'll be well-fed by mom (where I MUST learn portion control!) and then I'll be with my ensemble theatre company where a number of the company enjoy cooking so we always eat well there. Then I'll be in DC where I KNOW I'll indulge way more than I ought to . . . but oh well. I'll have my running shoes there so I intend to run it all off.

This past week, I've only had alcohol one night. I'm pretty amazed. I haven't had any in the house and cannot decide if I should hold off getting any when I go grocery shopping today. We'll see.

So I have a PLAN and I'm going to stick to it! I need to figure out how late I might be able to register for the race . . . although if I register NOW I might be more committed to the training. I'll mull that over for a few days and keep you posted.

In the meantime, if you have comments or suggestions, pass them along! Part of the PLAN is keeping up with this blog again!

No comments: